Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Moon Represents My Heart


Going Global

The Moon Represents My Heart by Teresa Teng

Recommended by Anon

"Absolute classic."

Sometimes it's nice to listen to a song when you don't understand the lyrics so that you can focus on the melody and the overall emotion. Instrumental music allows for a similar feeling, but there's nothing like the human voice, you know?

And, wow, this woman's voice is beautiful. Her wikipedia page describes it as "simple and sincere," and that's perfect. I love the pure tone, especially for this traditional kind of music. Old school.

Like her voice, the song itself sounds simple and sweet. The instrumentals sit comfortably in the background, complementing the vocals. It never really builds or surprises you, but it's very nice.

Once you do get into the translation of the lyrics, this message isn't complicated, either. It's simple, and there aren't  a whole lot of words in the whole song.

I was surprised by the line, My feeling does not waver. My love does not change. followed by the title phrase the moon represents my heart.

The moon has phases. The moon is always changing.

But if you think about it, the moon itself isn't doing anything. The light from the sun affects how much of the moon we can see at any given time, but the full thing is always there. It's kind of comforting to think of it that way.

The song starts out You ask me how deep I love you, as if this guy has been feeling nervous or something and worries that she doesn't love him enough. And she's like, "Hey, it's okay. Sorry I haven't been shouting it from the rooftops, but I do love you. My love is like the moon; even if you can't see it, it's there."

Plus, honestly, what's more romantic than the moon?

Overview:

Genre:
Traditional Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Yue liang dai biao wo de xin.

Verdict:
This song represents my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment