Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Houdini



Don't Mix Up Your Magicians

Houdini by Foster the People

Recommended by Bella

"I can remember hearing this song for the first time when I was a freshman in high school and loving it. It was my jam...and honestly it still is. It's incredibly catchy and can automatically put me in a good mood, but it also tells a personal story of fear of failure, not rising to one's full potential, and how pressures can make you want to run and hide...which is something I think everyone can relate to (or at least I can)."

Okay so when I hear this song, I really want to get up and dance. I don't know why I'm imagining a guy in high tops break dancing on a floor of multicolored light-up tiles, but it's a fun time. I see why this song puts you in a good mood.

I also agree that it's relatable. Sometimes I wanna disappear is such a simple line, but it's important. It must be important to the song because that's where the title comes from. Harry Houdini was the escape artist, right? Sometimes I get my magicians mixed up.

It's also important because I'm sure everyone's felt this way at some point. Like that time you accidentally called your sixth grade teacher "Mom" or that time you screamed so loudly about a bug that everyone in the Walton cafeteria looked over. (Oh wait, that wasn't you? Maybe it was me.) I still feel that way for a minute anytime I answer a question wrong in class.

Or it could be more than embarrassment. Sometimes I wanna disappear when I feel overwhelmed by classwork or when I think too hard about the future. When I feel stressed or when I feel alone.

Or because my life's a wreck. Another relatable lyric :')

I get a little lost at the end because Mark Foster gets really into it and I can't really tell what he's saying. The diction of the chorus isn't much better. But it's okay to leave the lyrics behind so you can lose yourself in the melody and kind of...disappear.

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop / Alt Dance

Favorite Lyrics:
What you want, what you need, what'd you come here for?

Verdict:
Dance even if you don't think you have the ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment