Sunday, February 7, 2016

Sunday Candy


Way Better Than Monday

Sunday Candy by Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment feat. Jamila Woods

Submitted by Anon

"because it's Sunday."

Thank you for your insight.

I'm really into this song. It's more than just the title that makes you think of a Sunday morning, with rays of golden sunlight pouring through the window, nothing on the agenda except church and chilling with the family. The beginning especially, with just the piano, has that lazy Sunday vibe.

I love the jazzy feel, which only intensifies when they add the trombone. The texture just keeps getting thicker until it reaches its deliciously dense climax at the end when an entire choir join in.

This is the second time I've written about Jamila's silvery voice, and it's been honey both times. I'm becoming a fan.

Speaking of voices, Chance the Rapper kills those verses. I particularly like the way he delivers the lines You singing too, but your grandma ain't my grandma and You look so good with that hat on.

The lyrics in the verses are such lovely tributes to Chance the Rapper's grandmother. It's not hard to relate to that deep familial love. Sure, my grandma isn't his grandma, but I know what it's like to love a grandmother.

When I first heard this song, I didn't realize it was about someone's grandmother. I focused on the hook which, on a superficial level, sounds incredibly sexual.

You gotta move it slowly.
Take and eat my body like it's holy.

I'm just saying.

It's better if you think about the song as being about love in general. The verses represent Chance the Rapper's love for his grandmother, the woman who kept him safe and loved him throughout his childhood. The chorus is more about the romantic love you would feel with your partner.

Despite its seemingly sexual nature - and I have no doubt that it was meant that way on some level - the text of the chorus is definitely biblical. When you look at the song as a whole, there are religious themes winding throughout all of the lyrics.

The verses mention prayers and Jesus Christ and church and Zion and Christmas and gospel choirs.

With that mindset, you can go into the chorus and see Take and eat my body as a reference to Communion. I'm not saying that's all it is, but it's definitely a valid interpretation.

In any case, it's a catchy hook, and I'm about it.

Genre:
Hip-hop / Neo Soul / Jazz Fusion

Favorite Lyrics:
You're my dream catcher, dream team, team captain.

Verdict:
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment