Sunday, February 28, 2016

Somewhere Over the Rainbow



Congrats, Leo! Dreams Really Do Come True.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole

Recommended by Irene

"This was my wedding song."

What a beautiful wedding song. What a beautiful song in general! Might I also suggest this mashup that he did of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and What a Wonderful World. It's almost too beautiful.

One of my favorite things is when someone covers a popular song and makes it entirely their own, to paraphrase the American Idol judges. No disrespect to Judy Garland because she is a legend and the way she sings this song is iconic, but there's something special about this version with nothing but Iz's warm vocals and the sweet, mellow ukulele accompaniment. It's, like...pure.

I love everything about this version. The liberties with phrasing sound so natural, and the way he says chim-uh-ney tops is perfect.

You're always gonna end up a little happier after listening to this song. There's this warmth that starts right in your heart and ends up spreading all throughout your body and you can't help but smile.

Overview:

Genre:
Traditional / Folk

Favorite Lyrics:
Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly.
And the dream that you dare to...oh why, oh why can't I?

Verdict:
Takes you somewhere...

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorites of all time. Reminds me of a trip to Hawaii that we took one time when my niece was maybe 2 or 3 and my nephew was a toddler. I bought this cd on this trip and have loved this version ever since...

    ReplyDelete