Monday, February 1, 2016

Crunchy Granola Suite


Needs More Cowbell

Crunchy Granola Suite by Neil Diamond

Recommended by Michelle

"This song will be challenging to say the least. It's dated and not even one of his hits, but it brings so much joy to me because I have memories with my youngest daughter and my father tied to it."

I know what you mean. That's the best way to fall in love with a song: connect it to a good or important part of your life. A good number of my favorite songs became my "favorite" not because of what they are but because of where they take me when I hear them. Another time, another place.

On a related note, I might pick a "favorite" song based on the way it makes me feel. Sometimes a song elicits deep emotions by reminding me of a time when I felt those emotions. Sometimes it's achieved through beautifully crafted lyrics. Sometimes it just has a vibe.

If Crunchy Granola Suite becomes one of my favorite songs, it will be because of that third option.

The lyrics here don't speak to me on any level. I had to dig into some other peoples' articles to discover that it's about the healthy "granola" lifestyle that Neil came upon when he moved to California.

I've never lived in CA, and I'm not much into health food, so...

No, what I like about this song is what's going on behind the vocals. Don't get me wrong, Neil's got a distinctive voice, and I have nothing against that growl. But why pay so much attention to lyrics about granola when you can focus on the amazing sounds going on just below that top melody line?

All the instruments in this song are awesome. I cheated and watched the video, but I was too curious not to do everything I could to figure out how they make this music happen. I noticed at least three guitars. Solid brass station. Three backup dancers/singers with tambourines. And a dude on the keys. Drums. 

It's a full-on production.

My favorites are the trombone and saxophone. I think I saw a trumpet, too. They're incredible, just doing their brassy thing. It sounds vaguely tropical? I don't know. It makes me want to dance, that's for sure. Party on.

Overview:

Genre:
Rock / Pop-rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Drop your shrink and stop your drinkin'.

Verdict:
Thought I couldn't relate; now I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment