Monday, February 15, 2016

Flamingo


You Do You

Flamingo by Kero Kero Bonito

Recommended anonymously

"It has a really catchy tune with lyrics that seem pretty 'random.' The cute-pop voice is definitely something we do not get to hear frequently in our daily lives."

This song surprised me in several ways. I don't know what I was expecting, but...it wasn't this.

As far as overall sound, I love the contrast of that airy, pan-flute-sounding melody playing over the really low, dissonant synth noise. I think electronica is growing on me.

The vocals were all over the place, in a weirdly good way. I wasn't expecting the vocalist to have a British accent. (Fun fact: Kero Kero Bonito is a British band made up of two white dudes and a Japanese expat.) I really like the way she says the Ohs after Flamingo. And I definitely wasn't expecting rap. It's kinda cool to hear someone speaking rhythmically like that in another language. I also wasn't ready for the lyrics to alternate between English and Japanese so often. Bilingual songs aren't super common.

Speaking of the lyrics, I didn't think the song would be so uplifting. I mean, it's called Flamingo, which didn't give me a whole lot to work with as far as building expectations. But no, dude, it's a positive song about acceptance.

I mean, it's not deep about it or anything (If you're multi-colored, that's cool, too. I mean, it's whatever. Keep it casual.), but it's nice.

You gotta smile.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop / Electronic

Favorite Lyrics:
You don't need to change.
It's boring being the same.

Verdict:
Cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment