Friday, February 12, 2016

Ode to My Family


Don't Watch the Music Video - You'll Cry Forever

Ode to My Family by The Cranberries

Recommended by Mayla

This women's voice is amazing. That's the standout piece of this puzzle for me. It honestly...I can't describe it, but it's beautiful. The way it's breathy at the beginning of every note before settling into a warm, rich tone. And then the way the pitch falls off and kind of swerves before the final consonant. Kills me.

There are also some lovely, haunting harmonies. They are well-suited to the mood of the song, which is melancholy in kind of a wistful way. Nostalgic. I think we can all relate to that feeling, when we think about the carefree gaiety of childhood. Things were easier, and - through the lens of time - happier.

I don't think it does anyone any good to dwell on the past, but it happens sometimes. And when it does, it's hard not to think about how much things have changed. And, for some reason, it's hard not to imagine that things used to be better.

This song juxtaposes the safety and comfort of childhood with the uncertainty of the present reality. It's especially poignant for me as a college student because I feel like I'm teetering on the edge of "real life," poised to take off but unwilling to leave the nest for the last time.

We've got images of my mother and my father holding me in their arms and loving me unconditionally back when I was young. Then there's the present, where I'm an adult and it's just these repeating lines of, Do you like me? and Does anyone care?

I'm fortunate because I have a loving home to return to, where I can lay in my childhood bed and pretend I have nothing to worry about. My heart go out to anyone who's alone in the real world. It can be a pretty harsh place.

Growing up is hard.

Overview:

Genre:
Alt Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
We were raised to see life as fun and take it if we can.

Verdict:
I have a lot of feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment