Sunday, February 21, 2016

Girls Like Girls


Boys Have Cooties Anyway

Girls Like Girls by Hayley Kiyoko

Recommended by Your Local Bi Girl

"Because heterosexuality is overrated."

Fair.

This is one of my favorite songs that's been recommended so far. It sounds like something I would've listened to even before I set out to expand my musical tastes, but I never came across it before now.

I really enjoy Kiyoko's voice, and the catchy melody is super accessible. It's soft and gentle and pretty but not delicate. The tempo isn't that fast, but the song is still lively and, like, spirited. I dare you to listen without tapping your foot or drumming your fingers.

Kiyoko said in this article that she wrote Girls Like Girls because there are a bunch of songs about guys stealing other guys' girls, but "there's no anthem for a girl stealing another guy's girl, and that is the coolest thing ever." This is true.

Representation, by the way, is extremely important. Hayley Kiyoko is out there doing God's work (is it inappropriate to use that idiom in this context?) by giving little lesbian and bisexual girls a chance to see another girl who's just like them.

Not only does the music video show an actual f/f kiss (that's loving, not sexualized for the male gaze), but the song also explicitly states that it's okay for women to love women.

Girls like girls like boys do, nothing new.

It's 2016, people. Love wins.

P.S. Hayley Kiyoko's music video for Cliff's Edge also features ladies in love.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
I'm real, and I don't feel like boys.

Don't tell me, tell me what I feel.

Verdict:

No comments:

Post a Comment