Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Amor Prohibido


RIP Selena

Amor Prohibido por Selena

Recommended by Anon

"¡Es bueno!"

Whenever I hear Selena's name, I basically start crying immediately because I once watched a movie about her life, career, and untimely death at 23. It's called Selena, starring Jennifer Lopez. Check it out to feel the pain I felt. (Speaking of J. Lo, she actually covered this song and released it on an album.) She seemed like an awesome person.

The song is pretty lively and has a fun salsa beat, but it's more than that. It's a little more difficult for those of us who don't speak Spanish, but once you know the story, you can't miss the intensity in the way Selena sings the lyrics. 

According to wikipedia, it was written about Selena's grandparents who met and fell in love even though they came from different social classes. How cliche but beautiful is that?

Amor Prohibido means forbidden love, which makes sense, given the context.

I'm not going to translate the entire song because you can find that online yourself, but here are some highlights:

Who cares what your mom and dad will say?
The only thing that matters is our love.

Money doesn't matter to you, nor to me, nor to the heart.

All of this that I give to you is worth more than money.

It sounds even better in the original, but they're lovely themes, right?

Also, listen, Selena didn't write this song, but she's the one who said that she wanted to sing about her grandparents' forbidden love. And she apparently ad-libbed that Oh, oh, baby! at the end of the chorus, and that adds a lot. Clearly, she's got a good ear, and maybe she would have written more o her own stuff if she was given more time...God, I made myself sad again.

Anyway, this is such a good one, and I'm sure I'll be hearing that catchy melody in my head for the next several hours.

Overview:

Genre:
Tejano / Mexican Cumbia / Dance Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
El dinero no importa en ti, ni en mi, 
ni en el corazón.

Verdict:
So much amor for this song, it should be prohibido.

wow that verdict is awful i'm so sorry please ignor eme

No comments:

Post a Comment