Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Reaper


Swimming in the River Styx

Reaper by Sia

Recommended by Crews

"Sia's album 'This is Acting,' released 1/28/16, is a collection of songs that she thought were pop hits that she wrote for other megastars. They didn't want them, so here they are. This track, produced by Kanye West, features Sia telling the grim reaper not to come for her yet because she still has good times to have and good things to do."

I love that is in an album of songs that would have been dead if she didn't resurrect them. This track could be about the other songs. "Rihanna didn't want me? Well, come on, Sia. I still have billboard charts to climb." It's beyond perfect, and it could have been the title of the album.

The idea of an album of unwanted songs is kind of awesome because I believe in second chances, but it's also kind of scary. Crews brought up the point, Why were they rejected? Maybe they just weren't right for the artists they were being presented to, or maybe it just wasn't the right time. In any case, Sia must have seen something in them and decided they deserve to be recorded by someone.

This song is empowering. You can hear it in the lyrics, obviously:

I got good things to do with my life.

Don't come for me today.
I'm feeling good.
I'mma savor it.

And it's impossible not to get pumped up, singing, Oh no baby, no baby, not today.

But you can also hear that positivity in the energized bass line, the high-pitched bum ba-dum ba-dum that I can't put into words, and the beat that basically begs you to snap along.

You can even hear the optimisim and strength in Sia's voice, though the artist admitted, "I don't care about the song." I can't hold it against her. She writes music for other artists; she can't get too attached. 

And, anyway, "This is Acting," right?

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Oh, I wanna dance in the open breeze,
Feel the wind in my hair, hear the ocean sing.
I got good things to feel in my life, yeah.

Verdict:
This is going on every single one of my feel-good playlists.

No comments:

Post a Comment