Thursday, February 11, 2016

Kokomo


Why Am I Not On Vacation?

Kokomo by The Beach Boys

Recommended by Babsh

"John Stamos is in the music video, and he's my first true love. Uncle Jesse is the best uncle."

This song is the epitome of vacation.

You get tropical vibes immediately. The vocals are relaxing, and I love how the harmonies add a nice texture. Also the steel drum is probably my favorite sound in the entire world.  

I love how the lyrics come out and just list a whole bunch of places where you'd rather be right now. Aruba, Jamaica...Bermuda, Bahama...Key Largo, Montego...Yes please. 

I'm sitting here in my heavy winter pajamas, under piles of blankets, checking the weather for tomorrow morning: 28 F. It's fine...But then listening to this song, I swear my lukewarm coffee starts to taste like pineapples and coconuts.

The imagery is honestly perfect. If you close your eyes, you can feel sand under your toes, the heat of the sun and a tropical drink melting in your hand.

Ugh, I'm making myself upset. How many weeks until spring break?

But seriously, I love this song. It has a really cool sound, and it takes me to my happy place. Thanks for suggesting it and bringing a little bit of sunshine to the dead of winter.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop / Tropical

Favorite Lyrics:
We'll be falling in love
to the rhythm of a steel drum band.

We'll get there fast,
and then we'll take it slow.

Verdict:
Take me now.

P.S. Did you know the Kokomo mentioned in this song isn't a real place? There are various places in the world called Kokomo, but none of them are in the Caribbean. The point is that Kokomo could be anywhere that makes you feel good. Everybody knows a little place like Kokomo.

P.S.S. Valentine's Day is coming up; you gotta play this song on your date night, come on.

No comments:

Post a Comment