Tuesday, February 9, 2016

I Melt with You



This One's for Ethan AKA Popsicle

I Melt With You by Modern English

Recommended by Tracy

"It's from the movie Valley Girl, and it's near and dear to my heart because I'm from southern CA."

So I've never seen Valley Girl, but I would say I have a special connection to this song because it was used in Sky High (full disclosure: the version in this film was a cover by Bowling for Soup, but Modern English does it better).

Good jam, questionable lyrics.

I'm going to ignore the fact that the singer Robbie Grey said the song is about having sex as nuclear bombs fall. I mean, I'm as much a fan of post-apocalyptic stories as the next gal, but that's really just the surface level. Like, okay, sure, they're shagging while the world ends. But I'm not letting go of the interpretation that this is a super romantic love song about getting lost someone else's eyes.

Also...mesh and lace. It's a reference to the band's first album, but like...what?

Anyway, the upbeat vibe and catchy melody make this song crazy fun to listen to. I dare you to sing along without adopting that British accent. 

You've seen the difference, and it's getting "bettah" all the time.

I'll stop the "weld" and melt with you. (Let's stop the "weld.")

The best part, though, is when it slows down and it's a little bit of guitar and these quiet hums. It's like we're given a moment to breathe before it launches into the most energized repetition of the chorus that let's us have one more killer flailing dance session before it does that casual fade out.

Overview:

Genre:
New Wave / Post-Punk

Favorite Lyrics:
Dream of better lives, the kind which never hate.

The future's open wide.

Verdict:
Never second best.

No comments:

Post a Comment