Friday, February 26, 2016

Better Days


You've Heard of Iris, Now Get Ready For

Better Days by the Goo Goo Dolls

Recommended by Monica

"That's my mantra right now."

And what a great mantra it is.

Better Days was initially a Christmas song, and this becomes immediately clear if you dig into the lyrics:

You ask me what I want this year.

I don't need boxes wrapped in strings.

The one poor child who saved this world.

The message of this song is a fairly common one to hear around the holidays, and it's my favorite. It's the same idea as Grown Up Christmas List, if you know that one.

As much as I like this type of song, I've always thought it was kind of funny that the singers act as if they're asking for so much less when they choose to focus on the ills of humanity instead of material goods. It's always like, "I don't want a lot for Christmas. There is just one thing I need...World peace. Definitely world peace. That's easy - world peace."

This song falls into that category when it asks for faith and trust and peace while we're alive, but it also reigns it in during the chorus:

Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days.

Overview:

Genre:
Alternative

Favorite Lyrics:
I wish everyone was loved tonight.

Verdict:
Great to sing out loud.

Dang, I should have saved this for December.

No comments:

Post a Comment