Friday, January 8, 2016

Unwell


That Banjo Though

Unwell by Matchbox Twenty

Recommended by my Uncle Manny

"I love this song because it basically states that everybody is a little unwell at one time or another, and I can empathize with this. And I love Rob Thomas."

Absolutely, what a jam.

This track has been in my music library for years, but I'm happy to rediscover it. I'll have to find it a place in one of my current playlists. Or maybe more than one of them. It's so versatile: upbeat enough to pump me up on a jog, but mellow enough for my mini road trips to and from school.

Plus there's never a bad time to listen to the infuriatingly smooth vocals from Rob Thomas. So good.

I love the prominence of the banjo. The instrumentation in this whole song make me happy. It sounds so...natural? Don't get me wrong, I think there are some really cool sounds coming out of the techno/electronic scene, but there's something great about that traditional four-piece setup. (Not that this would typically include the banjo. But that guitar/vocals/bass/drums thing? Golden.)

And, listen, that chorus is just plain catchy. I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell...

My uncle is spot-on with his interpretation of the lyrics. Rob Thomas himself says he wrote the song because "we all feel a little messed up sometimes...you're not alone." Powerful. True.

Music has an amazing capacity for influencing mood, and I love to see it used to deliver a positive message like this. When you're feeling sad or worthless or freakish or doubtful or generally unwell and you turn on this song, it's impossible not to feel at least a little bit better.

Overview

Genre:
Alternative Pop-Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
I can hear them whisper, and it makes me think there must be something wrong with me.

Verdict:
We're all a little unwell, but you're only crazy if you don't like this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment