Sunday, January 3, 2016

From Eden



God Bless This Blog

From Eden by Hozier

Recommended by Chloe

She says it's beautiful, plain and simple. Melodically: beautiful. Lyrically: beautiful.

I've been a fan of Hozier for a while...at least, I really like that one song that was all over the radio a while back. And this song reminds me of Take Me to Church in a big way.

Hozier has this...unique voice. It's soothing and vaguely haunting. I don't know if it's the way he sings or if it has something to do with the production of this track, but it sounds like it's coming from far away, like a dream.

The lyrics aren't sweeping me away, but the way he delivers them gives each line a lot of power. The opening line is just one word, "Babe." That's...nothing. But he belts it out, and it feels emotional. That's how the whole song is for me. Feelings and feelings.

To be fair, sometimes it's not just the delivery. The lyrics get a pretty deep all on their own sometimes. A rope in hand for your other man to hang from a tree. Yikes.

As a side note, it's interesting that we're talking about Eden, and his big hit last year was about church. I checked out his album. I didn't dig that far, but there's another song called Foreigner's God so I guess there's a theme. I like that cohesiveness.

I really like Hozier, and I really love this song.

Overview

Genre:
Indie Rock / Soul / Blues

Favorite Lyrics:
No tired sighs, no rolling eyes, no irony
No 'who cares,' no vacant stares, no time for me

Verdict:
Definitely sounds like it came from Eden.

A confession: The way I listen to a song for this blog feels very different from the way I listen to a song on the radio. Focused. It's kinda cool. It reminds me that the people who write and perform songs are putting a lot of effort into it, and I'm glad I'm taking the time to appreciate the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment