Monday, January 25, 2016

C'mon


C'mon, C'mon

C'mon by Panic! At The Disco & Fun.

Recommended by Babsh

"My roommate was reading Percy Jackson, and I found out about this song for Percy Jackson-related reasons on Tumblr years agooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."

I would love to know about these Percy Jackson-related reasons, Babsh. That was a great series...hmu later.

This song would be perfectly at home on my middle school playlists. It reminds me of The Offspring a little bit. Except a little softer. Yeah? ...No, you know what it is - the melody at the C'mon, c'mon part sounds vaguely like Can you stay strong? Can you go on? from "Kristy Are You Doing Okay?" by The Offspring. 

This is an excellent collab. I can really hear the elements of both groups. The instrumental sounds like Panic! and a lot of the melodies sound distinctly like Fun. Or maybe that's just because Nate Reuss has such a recognizable voice...

Anyway, the instrumentals are my favorite part about this track, which is saying something because the vocals are also something special. I like the transition from the simple staccato piano chords  to a deeply textured mix of instruments and back again. That last, low, lonely chord feels so right. 

There are a bunch of orchestral instruments going at some point. You can hear the strings really well around here, which I think is the most intense point of the whole thing.

It's a really hopeful and optimistic piece of music. There's a lot of talk of sadness and loss, but it's approached from a positive angle.

As for the vocals I mentioned earlier: Brendon Urie's voice getting all soft and sweet during that first C'mon, c'mon, with everything falling down around me / I'd like to believe in all the possibilities is the best thing I've treated my ears to in a very long time.

At the end, I was not ready for him to scream those Yeah Yeah Yeah!s. Then he brings back that mellifluous (yeah, I'm going there) and muted tone from the beginning of the song as he croons (it's honestly a transcendent experience) that last line: It's getting late, and I cannot seem to find my way home tonight.  Kills me.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop Rock / Alt Rock 
Baroque Pop (from those orchestral sounds)

Favorite Lyrics:
May we stay lost on our way home?

Verdict:
We shall sing, we shall sing 'til the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment