Sunday, January 10, 2016

Folgers Crystals


Not Safe For Work; Works for a Work-Out

Folgers Crystals by J. Cole

Recommended by Gage

"Rap is a competitive genre that focuses on specific lyrics/wordplay. The clearer the message, the better the song. J. Cole is one of the best lyricists out, and this song sends a strong and clear message about why other rappers shouldn't be sleeping on him but instead, fearing him."

Y'all, this is not my style at all...which makes it perfect for this blog.

Folgers Crystals has the smartest lyrics of all the songs I've written about so far. This isn't a huge surprise, since witty lines are characteristic of the hip hop genre and this is the first rap track I've recommended.

Even the title...As Gage said, this track is supposed to wake everyone who's been sleeping on this guy. So...Folgers. It gets me.

It's essentially a really positive song, even though it's powered by anger. I mean, this guy's asserting that he was raised in hell but can still be the change that I wanna see, I can heal the world for real. That's ambitious. That's confidence.

This song is hard for me to connect to because I can't sing it. The words don't feel right in my mouth, and I think we all know they wouldn't sound right coming out of it. But that's fine. I like the way it sounds when this guy performs.

The way the words fit together lyrically is clever, but the way they fit together rhythmically is even more impressive to me. And the way this artist delivers them...really strong.

I haven't been exposed to anything like this a lot at all, so thanks for the recommendation!

Overview:

Genre:
Hip Hop/Rap

Favorite Lyrics:
Raised in hell, but heaven sent 'em.

Verdict:
I've been sleeping on this whole genre....need a little more before I'm woke.

So music doesn't have to be universal to be respected and appreciated. I guess nothing really does.

No comments:

Post a Comment