Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Memories That You Call


Blame It On the Lack of Sleep

Memories That You Call by Odesza

Recommended by Jas

"I like it. V soothing, and I want to know your thoughts on EDM."

This song is sick.

When I saw soothing and EDM in the same sentence, I couldn't keep my eyebrows from lifting. EDM takes my brain to a very different place than the ethereal, trance-like song that this turned out to be. EDM has always been for me synonymous with Dubstep and heavy bass lines and weird screechy sounds that I would never want to hear outside of the club at 2:00am.

(Not that I would know what it's like to be out that late. Of course not. It's okay, Uncle.)

This track is a dream.

I'm going to walk through it differently than the way I've written about other songs because I feel like it provides a different experience than the other songs so far.

It starts out with a slow, peaceful section that wouldn't be out of place in a yoga studio. Gradually, new sounds are added, and I take it as a representation of "waking up" in a dream. It's as if the peaceful intro is the part where you're in bed falling asleep, and the more active section that follows is the part where you've fallen asleep and begin dreaming.

During the next section, things calm down again. It feels like outer space, sounds like planets, huge and solemn and beautiful, floating through the blackness until they run into something. Maybe they never will. Extending the dream metaphor, maybe you are the planet now. It's a dream, you can be anything, even a giant, lonely celestial body.

This is the bit where the lyrics finally come into play. The lyrics are interesting in this piece because there are so few of them. We have a total of four lines of text which I will reproduce below:

Can feel your heart,
Yearning slow.
Can feel
Slow all the memories, that you call.

What?

I think maybe it's beautiful and poetic on some level, but I haven't reached that level. If you're there, enlighten me please.

But it doesn't matter that I don't get the meaning lyrics. Without looking them up, I can't even make out the individual words, and that doesn't matter either. It's just like the rest of the song, where there aren't any lyrics to misunderstand at all. You don't need them; the music speaks for itself.

I've been thinking about a dream I can't quite comprehend. The lyrics say it's a far-off memory. Similar vibes.

Then the vocals are even more distorted than the distant mess they started off as, and the beat picks up into what I'd consider to be the climax of the piece. And then finally, it pulls back with a perfect bookend, a recreation of the intro. Coming back from the dreams or memories or whatever out-of-body experience you've been having.

And then it's over.

Overview:

Genre:
Electronica

Favorite Part:
Right after the lyric part, here. Where it's joyful and beautiful like the sun rising.

Verdict:
Can feel this song in my heart

2 comments:

  1. Interesting song...but I know you've been out past 2, remember spain?

    ReplyDelete