Sunday, January 17, 2016

My Type


Book 'im, Saint Mo.

My Type by Saint Motel

Recommended by Reid

He first directed me to the video, pointing out that it's kind of hilarious. "It's cool. There are a bunch of people in a room, and they're all looking at each other because they all have different, you know, types."

Reid admits that, "maybe it's not the strongest lyrically, but it's catchy and fun and upbeat." He says that some songs are written with different goals in mind than other songs. If a song was meant to make you dance and it succeeds, then why would you complain that it's shallow?

I agree completely. Some songs are made to move your heart, and others are made to move your body. This is definitely an example of a jam that will help you get your groove on.

I always listen to the whole "song of the day" one or twice to get a feel for it, then play it on repeat while I write the post. For this track, I probably listened to it a solid three or four times before I realized that it was completely tongue-in-cheek.

With the upbeat melody and altogether lively vibe, it's clear that the song is all about making the listener feel happy and have a good time. Still, I didn't catch the chorus saying that the "type" they're talking about this whole time is just someone who's "got a pulse" and who's "breathing." When I finally focused on the lyrics, I had to grin and roll my eyes.

Oh, Saint Motel, you slay me.

As much as I love the laid-back and all-inclusive perspective on love jokingly achieved in the chorus, Reid is right that the song isn't about the lyrics. It's all about the sound, and that opening riff that threads its way between the background and the foreground throughout the track is the best thing ever, hands down.

It feels simultaneously retro and fresh, while also reminding me of the Hawaii Five O Theme Song.

(Doesn't it? Come on, yes it does.)

Lots of interesting sounds, too. Are those horns in the beginning? And I think maybe I heard a slide-whistle...? Anyway it's never boring.

And the same can be said about the music video. It's cute but casual as everyone trades glances, but then I got to the guy in the helicopter and lost it. You won't be disappointed.

Hope everyone enjoys this song as much as I did!

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop / Dream Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
You're just my type.
Oh, you got a pulse and you are breathing.

Verdict:
Don't fight it, just keep listening.

This is song 17 out of 366...wow this is going to be a long year. But luckily I've already learned something! I used to think that there was some kind of science to the designation of "genre," but now I'm convinced it's up to you. My research shows that people throw songs under multiple categories and often make up their own subgenres (Dream Pop? Really?). Good to know. I may have to take this knowledge and run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment