Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Never Never


The Rise of Elevator Music

Never Never by The Tontons

Recommended by Farha

“This song is one of those songs I can play on repeat and never get sick of. I think [Asli Omar’s] voice is gorgeous and the song is so sad yet so beautiful. Also this song is a bit more special to me because I don't know anyone else who listens to it. Not in an obnoxious hipster way hopefully, just feels more personal.”

I think I know what you mean, Farha.


It feels good to be able to share music with someone and watch them experience it for the first time. And it's personal because now that person will associate that song with you. 


Plus, it's music you discover on your own, and you choose to listen to it. 


You send the friend request to that song. You click follow. You swipe right. You take that song out to dinner and really get to know it before taking it home.


Popular songs just kind of break into your house and exclaim Hello, it's me.


(Not that you can't have a personal connection with a popular song. Refer to About This Blog.)


So let's talk about The Tontons.


Never Never is one of those songs that I feel like I should like. When I see some stylishly dressed girl on the bus, her earphones in her ears so that she doesn't have to make conversation, I imagine she's listening to a song like this.


I like it.


It's perfect to listen to while rainymood.com is open in another tab. While you're studying or maybe staring out the window. In a car or a coffee shop. 


Maybe an elevator.


Just kidding.


I could imagine it in the background of a sad movie scene, and for that reason it felt kind of familiar, even on the first listen. Not in a bad way, not boring. More like coming home. Comfortable.


I feel like the lyrics are tragic and disappointed and angry, but the music is just vaguely sad. Very heartfelt, but in a "life goes on" kind of way. Resigned, maybe. Again, like coming home. And it's comfortable...but some things are different and you're different and you kind of don't belong anymore, but what can you do.


The vocals really are beautiful, and it's a lovely listen.


Overview


Genre:

Indie Soft Rock

Favorite Lyrics:

You owe me something kind of wonderful.

Verdict:

I could listen forever forever.

P.S: Never let anyone invalidate your musical taste, no matter how mainstream your favorite songs are. On the flip side, don't listen to people who call you fake deep for liking underground bands. And for the love of God do not let the idea of "popularity vs. obscurity" intimidate you and keep you from submitting a song rec. I want diversity. I want all genres. I want songs that I've never heard, but I also want songs that I've heard a million times but never really taken the time to listen to.

P.S.S. Farha, the elevator thing was a joke don't hate me, I only said that so i could make the pun in the post title lol I really honestly like the song and I'm listening to Golden right now

No comments:

Post a Comment