Thursday, January 14, 2016

Gravity


Soundscape

Gravity by Sara Bareilles

Recommended by Anonymous

This person says, "I like reading your blog and experiencing songs from your perspective. I love everything about this song, especially the emotional memory my body feels when listening to it."

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your kind words. I'm super pumped that you like my blog, and I'm so glad you've chosen to participate!

I fell in love with this song immediately. The strings set the stage perfectly, and then the piano brings its A Game two seconds later. I can never say never to a piano-based instrumental.

As a pianist, I'm biased, but I think the piano is the most beautiful and emotive instrument in the world. Played by a talented musician, it has an incredible dynamic range, and this song makes use of the quietest background noises, giving Sara's voice time to shine, as well as booming bass notes that give the piece a strong, full feeling.

I adore the way it sounds both expansive and intimate at the same time. Not only is it a treat for the ears, but it reflects the meaning of the song perfectly. It's about gravity, which is an attribute of massive celestial bodies; it makes you think of outer space and the heavens. But it's equating gravity to love, which is the most intimate emotion we have. It's really lovely.

I'd like to hear this song live to see if it retains that intimate feeling while its filling the concert space. I bet it would.

I didn't expect to like it because I don't consider myself to be a fan of Sara Bareilles, but I may have to reevaluate after hearing that note at about 2:50. I'm imagining someone performing it on American Idol, and the "nice judge" of the season is like, "Chills. I just got chills."

At first, I wasn't feeling the lyrics because they seemed to contradict themselves so much. I never wanted anything so much and yet I don't wanna fall another moment. Here I am and I stand so tall yet I live here on my knees.

Thinking on it, though, I guess she did that on purpose. Because love is like that. She's trying to stand tall, but it's hard. She wants it, but she wishes she didn't.

I guess it's okay for someone to keep pulling you in when you're both in love, but it's not as nice when they don't love you back. I get it now.

Kind of like how you can't help listening to this song, but each time it breaks your heart again.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop Ballad

Favorite Lyrics:
You hold me without touch.
You keep me without chains.

Verdict:
Pulls you in like, well, gravity.


2 comments:

  1. Girl, you need to listen to a lot of Sara Bareilles. She is an amazing singer and performer, even outside her more poppy songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After listening to this song, I must say I agree :)

      Delete