Saturday, January 2, 2016

Cocaine Jesus


















New Year, New Song Recs

Cocaine Jesus by Rainbow Kitten Surprise

Recommended by C.J.

He says he was first drawn to the song because it just sounds pretty. He says that while he can't follow all the lyrics, there are some gems hidden somewhere in these lines.


I think I agree.

First of all, yeah, it sounds pretty. They have nice harmonies, and the folksy melody of the chorus is easy to catch a hold of.

And listen...it took me quite a few tries to understand anything they were saying other than, Don't you pray to a cocaine Jesus.

...But eventually, I looked up the words online, and bless my soul if it didn't just touch my heart. Click-bait of a title excepted, it's pretty straightforward. And it's a breakup song. His ex has moved on, but he's clearly still devoted to this old love. He basically says, "Whenever you need me, baby, call me, beep me if you wanna reach me." Poor, broken-hearted guy.

Until the end.

The entire song has a quirky, deceptively upbeat vibe going on, but the last line slows way down and the mood gets really poignant really fast as this guy finally scrapes together his self-respect and decides it's time to move on from this ex of his.

It's kind of like maybe he was in denial the whole song, but at the end he's ready to face the truth.

Overview:

Genre:

Alternative...Indie Pop...?

Favorite Lyrics:

God, I wish that I was better than I am, but no luck, no love.

But I'm more than a need or a thing you believe or a word that you leave unsaid.

Verdict: 
Maybe I will pray to a cocaine Jesus.

...wait is praying to a cocaine jesus a metaphor for doing drugs?

3 comments:

  1. Someone just send me this video before he passed away find it hard to understand just want to know if it is positive or negative

    ReplyDelete
  2. to me it is about the ups and downs

    ReplyDelete