Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Here


The Real College Experience

Here by Alessia Cara

Recommended by Nisha and Cynthia

They had some great quotes for me, actually. "It's like a stream of consciousness...not even poetic, just...truth." / "Yeah, like a rant, but sung beautifully, with purpose." / "Common sense in musical form."

I see where Cynthia was coming from, calling it a "rant." The words just kinda flow in this rhythmic way and it sounds amazing. Sometimes I'm just like, wow, Alessia, it's fine, take a breath. Girl has some lungs. And a killer voice. So good.

The song is about someone who lets her friends drag her to a party, but she clearly isn't interested in the scene at all. It gives a really accurate picture of college parties, actually. Too many people in a tiny room and music so loud you can't have a proper conversation. Probably someone smoking something, and bonus points for someone throwing up.

Also, everybody "congregating next to the refrigerator." So true. Why does that always happen?

Anyway, you have to feel for this girl, even if you are a "partier." I mean, I'm not anti-social, but there have been times where I show up and don't click with the guest list. Or maybe I let my friends talk me into going out when I'm tired or just not in the mood. For whatever reason, I think we all know what it's like to ask ourselves, "oh, God why am I here?"

Ironically enough, I imagine this song gets blasted at parties all the time. (Good: it gives us introverts something to relate to when we clearly aren't connecting to the rest of the party.) It has to be. It's got a great sound that makes you feel, I don't know...chilled out, in a good way.

Friday night vibes? You know, when you're tired but not too tired. That's what it sounds like. It's not going hard, but it's going.

Like when you come home from class/work and crash on the couch, intent on passing out after what felt like the world's longest week. But then your room mate says she's ordering pizza, and you're like, Okay, I can stay awake for pizza. And the pizza gives you new life, and you don't care about the week anymore. You just relax and eat and let the warm feeling spread throughout your body, and you probably end up staying up way later than you should.

Yeah. Friday night vibes.

Fun Fact: The people in the video are Alessia Cara's actual friends. You know, the ones in the song who dragged her to the party in the first place.

Overview

Genre:
Indie R&B

Favorite Lyrics:
I don't dance. Don't ask. I don't need a boyfriend.

Verdict:
I'm so here for this.

About the Genre: Indie R&B is kind of R&B plus electronic dance music (EDM). It is also popularly known as PBR&B because it's enjoyed by hipsters while they drink PBR. I'm neither a hipster nor a contemporary R&B artist, but I think I'm offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment