Saturday, January 16, 2016

Beneath Still Waters


Reflections on a River

Beneath Still Waters by Emmylou Harris

Recommended by my Advertising & Society professor

She didn't give me anything to go off of except, "anything by Emmylou Harris," so I searched "Best Emmylou Harris songs" and here we are.

I felt some Eagles vibes at first, I don't know. I think it was the fact that I was immediately transported out west, to wide open spaces and starry skies.

This song makes me feel really calm, like the still waters it mentions so often. On the surface, the melody ambles along, sweet and relaxed. It's not until you dig into the lyrics that you realize how painfully sad the song is.

Even a fool could see that you'll soon be leaving me.

The notes are all in a comfortable range, and Emmylou sings them perfectly. Her voice is clear and pretty and emotive, and it sounds lovely over the backdrop of the guitar. It's beautiful.

This is an easy song to listen to, and I can see myself pulling it out on a lazy afternoon while I study or at a bonfire as I contemplate life.

Overview:

Genre:
Country

Favorite Lyrics:
The surface won't tell you what the deep water knows.

Verdict:
Listening from beneath the still waters of my unshed tears

No comments:

Post a Comment