Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Loud Places


Taking the D out of EDM

Loud Places by Jamie xx (ft Romy)

Recommended by Crews

Crews says that Jamie xx released his first solo album this past year, and it's really good. Jamie xx went off on his own after being part of The xx and producing records for R&B, hip-hop, and pop artists including Alicia Keys and Drake.

Although he likes the album as a whole, Crews chose to recommend Loud Places because it's a clear stand-out. His favorites might be Sleep Sound or the song of the summer I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times), but Loud Places is probably the best track on the album.

A lot to take in.

Thankfully I'm familiar with Alicia Keys and Drake, but I had to look up The xx. They're an English indie pop group, responsible for hits such as Intro, Crystallize, and Angels. 

If you haven't heard of them, don't feel bad. I hadn't either. Maybe I'll do a blog post about them later, but for now, we're moving on. I'm only responsible for one song a day right now.

So I don't dislike this song. It's got a nice sound, and the lyrics are nice in a way I didn't expect. When I first hit play and heard that this was a dance song, I was prepared for repetitive nonsense. Maybe that betrays my inexperience with the genre, I don't know.

In any case, I was pleasantly surprised with the relatable story of someone who met their S.O. in a club and felt like they had a connection, but after the party, things just didn't pick up where they left off. The actual lyrics say it better, and you could interpret it differently.

The music features a cool electronic beat, but it's a little slow. I could imagine some remixes being played up in the club (@Jerzees). Romy's vocals are really dreamy and communicate the sadness of the lyrics, but I could still see myself swaying to this song's relaxed tempo at a house party, drink in hand.

Overview

Genre:
Electronic Pop / Dance (?)

Favorite Lyrics:
I go to loud places to search for someone to be quiet with.

Verdict:
I'm down to listen to this in loud places.

A tangent: I need to look into music terminology. What's the difference between a song and a record? What's an LP? An EP? Help?

No comments:

Post a Comment