Friday, January 29, 2016

Adam's Song


You're Not Ready

Adam's Song by Blink-182

Recommended by Luke

"Alright, I know we all joke about Blink being the quintessential emo punk band when we're 12, but they actually had some good s***. This song is pretty dark and deep when you take a closer look. So what if it sounds a little bit like the cliche misunderstood teen calling out for help? There are people that can relate to that and need to know they're not alone."

Good points. I think we make fun of these kinds of songs because it's not cool to feel that much in public, but we all still secretly have them in our music libraries. Kind of like how we all survived on these songs in middle school, crying alone in our rooms and stuff, but no one actually talked about the feelings discussed in these songs back then.

Basically, we all put up a front of happiness. Which, incidentally, is mentioned in the song. I laughed the loudest, who'd have known?

I like how this style of music feels really down-to-earth and, I don't know, undperproduced. If I had started a band in high school, we would've played songs like this. Maybe it's because of the music videos, but I always felt like all you'd need were a few guitars, a garage, and a whole lot of feelings. Maybe a tattoo.

It's interesting how the lyrics are so painful, but the music itself isn't that sad. The tempo moves along pretty quickly, and the guitar honestly feels pretty lively. If anything, I might describe the arcs of the melody as pensive. Even the vocals...it sounds impassioned, for sure, but I don't feel like it quite reaches the level of hopelessness found in the words. I dunno.

I love the little piano interlude. It's regretful and beautiful, and I wasn't expecting it.

Anyway, thanks a lot. Guess I'll be listening to old pop punk and crying my eyes out for the next several hours. It's fine.

Overview:

Genre:
Alt Rock / Pop Punk

Favorite Lyrics:
Please tell mom this is not her fault.

Verdict:
:'(

2 comments: