Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Empty Heart


"The Worst Thing an Artist Can Do is What is Expected of Them." - Grace Potter

Empty Heart by Grace Potter

Recommended by Lisa (happy birthday, mom!)

Plus, I'm going to Grace Potter's concert tonight, and I'm so pumped!

I hadn't heard much of her music before deciding to do some homework for tonight. People keep asking why I'd agree to go see someone I'm unfamiliar with: it's because concerts are always fun. There's something about live music...the sound, the energy.

Speaking of energy, Empty Heart has a lot of it.

Lyrically, we've got my favorite thing in the world with the on-purpose stuttering to facilitate exceptional phrasing: Why won't you tell me what - what you want with me. Good phrasing goes a long way in delivering a dynamic song.

The vibe is similar to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama, with the twangy guitar and sick piano riffs. Later, the addition of extra voices helps give an already-energetic song a more expansive soundscape. When that gospel choir comes in, the texture becomes SO rich and exciting that I can't keep up. I love it. Do I focus on the choir? The lead vocals? The drums? Guitar? All of it at once?

Apparently Potter came up with this piece in a mid-western hotel room with nothing but boredom and a broken guitar. So...wow, I guess. Good job.

Update 1/27:

The concert was amazing. Grace Potter is a piece of work. She does her own thing and she does it shamelessly and she does it well.

But it was not what I was expecting. There's two reasons for that:

1) If you haven't seen Grace Potter before, there's actually no way that you could possibly expect what went down on that stage last night.

2) I listened to her new album in preparation. Midnight is definitely rock, but it's a soulful, bluesy rock. Her old stuff, which made up a good bit of last night's concert, is hardcore rock and roll.

Empty Heart, which I expected to be the rule, was most certainly an exception. It's possible that this is the direction Grace Potter is going, and if that is her choice then I wish her well - it's certainly more accessible to the casual listener - but she has something special when she goes deep into that hard rock space. It's not even my cup of tea, but I have to admit it's impressive.

Most important part of this song live: the ending. When Potter's voice gets breathy and the keys take it away. That's a cool moment.

Overview:

Genre:
Blues Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Yeah, we all make promises we can't keep;
And they're paper thin but they cut so deep.

Verdict:
It'll touch, fill, and tickle your empty heart.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Totally! Thanks for inviting me :) Post updated to include that part of the review.

      Delete