Sunday, January 24, 2016

Dime Store Cowgirl


Just a Small Town Girl

Dime Store Cowgirl by Kacey Musgraves

Recommended by Grace, again

"Cause you need to add a little country to your blog! :) I love Kacey, and the way she writes is so witty. This song reflects my love of travelling but also the comfort I feel when I go home."

After reading Grace's description of this song, I was excited to listen to it because I definitely relate to that paradox of wanting to keep exploring the world while also wanting to spend some time in a familiar place with familiar faces. I think most people who travel can understand that. Classic.

Plus, I really do enjoy country music. I don't know why I don't listen to it more. The accented voices are always so charming, and the common themes of family and simple pleasures and going back to your roots makes the stories sound so humble.

I get a really pleasant feeling when I listen to this song. It's the "home" part of the travelling vs. staying home tug-of-war: comfortable and welcoming and warm. This is equal parts lyrics and delivery. Kacey has the quintessential country lilt. On top of that, her voice is absolutely lovely.

Maybe I'm getting carried away - music is supposed to carry you away, right? - but I actually teared up at that bridge:

I'm happy with what I got, 'cause what I got is all I need.
Just because it don't cost a lot, don't cost a lot, don't mean it's cheap.

First of all, true. Second...the way she slows down at the end. And then she takes the melody UP instead of resolving it DOWN where you expect it to go on cheap...Lord have mercy on my poor sensitive soul.

Overview:

Genre:
Country

Favorite Lyrics:
It don't matter where I'm going; I'll still call my hometown home.

Verdict:
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment