Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Human Nature


Funky Fresh

Human Nature by Michael Jackson

Recommended by Gina

She calls it "one of his best songs" and mentions that it's "constantly sampled in other songs," citing Right Here by the 90s group SWV. "Also," she adds, "you can't help but feel so serene while listening to it."

Michael Jackson is the King of Pop - even I, in my 2000s / 2010s #Hot100 bubble, know that - and this song is just one of many amazing tracks in an incredible career.

Despite hearing about Michael's genius through collective pop culture knowledge, I've never listened extensively to his music. I have my favorites: Thriller (because it was in 13 Going on 30) and Smooth Criminal (because they did a cool cello cover on Glee)...but that's about it.

Confession: I pretend to be familiar with the song Billie Jean, because everyone is, but I actually only know that one line Billie Jean is not my lover.

Anyway, this song is really cool. Listening to it definitely does give me a feeling of peace. It makes me want to be silly with that special someone at sunset and roll down a hill again and again until we're too dizzy to stand up, then just lay there in the grass and look up at the stars.

The lyrics are not quite as innocent. First you're looking out across night-time and then you're looking out across the morning, and this girl still hasn't gone home. I think we all know what's going on here.

That said, the lyrics are dreamy and sweet and never overtly sexual. The dirtiest lyric we have in this song about lust is sweet seducing sighs, and there's something refreshing about that.

In the foreground, Michael's voice is killing it. And talk about sweet seducing sighs...listen, this guy's breathing is as much a part of his songs as his singing. Can you imagine Michael Jackson songs without his little gasps? Certainly not this one.

And in the background: how quintessentially 80s is the instrumental?

Love this jam! Thanks for the recommendation, cuz.

Overview:

Genre:
Soft Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Looking out across the morning,
The city's heart begins to beat.

Verdict:
I like listenin' this way.

P.S. We can't talk about Michael Jackson without mentioning his dancing. What a performer.

No comments:

Post a Comment