Friday, January 22, 2016

Never Be Like You


EXPLICIT

Never Be Like You by Flume (feat. Kai)

Recommended by Ray

"It's COOOOOOOOL."

Thank you for that lovely insight Rachel.

So...this song sparkles.

Is there any other way to describe those glittery noises that make up the intro and glisten in the background until about 0:38. It sounds like someone's casting a spell.

It's a cool (sorry, COOOOOOL) noise to begin with, and it gets even better a few lines in when the lyric is I would give anything to change this fickle-minded heart that longs for shiny things. I think my excitement level when I noticed that was a little extreme.

I miss the sparkle when it goes away, but it's replaced by other background sounds that are almost as great. There's some pretty funky electronic stuff going down behind the vocals.

Speaking of vocals, it's interesting to hear the high pitch and clarity of Kai's voice over the gritty dissonance of the synth. It's a stark contrast that makes for a really nice texture, especially once the you add in the drum accompaniment. The syncopation is all over the place, which kept me engaged.

The lyrics don't strike me as particularly beautiful, but there are a couple of really high points. I already mentioned the shiny things line that Kai sings over the shiniest of backgrounds. My other favorite part is when she says I ma- I made a mistake.

I have a thing for stuttering through lyrics.

Even though they didn't hit home with me, the lyrics do have a certain realism to them. I used to be kind of offended by explicit lyrics in songs (back when I was a pure and innocent child and curse words in general made me uncomfortable), but now I'm of the opinion that it's a valid form of expression. I mean, this girl is in the process of getting dumped. I think it's fair for her to say I ****** up when she's talking to her ex. I probably would.

Overview:

Genre:
Electronic

Favorite Lyrics:
I'm only human, can't you see?
I ma- I made a mistake.

Stop looking at me with those eyes.

Verdict:
Everything's okay.

1 comment: