Monday, January 11, 2016

Breathe


Branching Out

Breathe by miss A

Recommended by Gourav

I actually just saw this kid tweeting about how amazing this song is, and I asked for a comment on why it was so great. He referred me to "the addictive beat, the popping colors, the quirky video and the live stages."

This is still, of course, a music blog, but Gourav reminded me how the music video can amplify the enjoyment or understanding of a song. I was thinking about that all day, since Kim commented on yesterday's post and mentioned the video.

And wow, this video is a lot to take in. Quirky is a good word for it, from the outfits to the dancing. And, you know what? Addictive is another good wood for it. Nice work, Gourav.

This song gives me 90s vibes. I think it's a combination of the choreography, the wardrobe, and the bubblegum pop sound.

The language barrier exists with this song, but it's not a huge problem when you're having so much fun dancing wildly around the room. On first listen, I hadn't checked the English translation yet, but I felt like I got the full effect anyway, only understanding I can't breathe and I'm gonna let you know.

Someone's got a crush.

When I turned the subtitles on, this was confirmed.

I think when I'm dealing with a foreign language track, it's better to know an overview of the song's meaning rather than translating every single line. The song is more enjoyable when I'm focusing on the upbeat melody rather than trying to capture every word of a language I don't speak. After all, even the most brilliant lyrics can fall flat in a translation.

I'm trying to pick a favorite part: Is it the insanely catchy chorus with the oh-ohs? Or is it the unexpected rap interlude (2:44) with the heavy breathing?

I don't often venture too far out of the English language, not in music or other media, and I think that's something I should correct.

This was a really fun international bop. Thanks Gourav!

Overview:

Genre:
KPop/Dance Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Here's my love, baby boy.
I just can't breathe.

Verdict:
I just can't breathe because I've been jumping on my bed for 3 minutes and 43 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment