Monday, August 29, 2016

Run


Turn On Closed Captions for English Lyrics

Run by BTS

Recommended by bridges

"Kim told me to recommend you a song and I sort of remember us having a conversation about them."

BTS, or Bangtan Boys, is an enormously popular South Korean boy band made up of seven guys. And I thought three was a crowd!

Apparently all seven members are included in the "the musical and lyrical composition" of their songs, and they all "play an active role in producing their music" (x). If that's true, I'm impressed.

I wouldn't say K-Pop is quite mainstream in the U.S. - at least, it hasn't made its way into the Billboard Hot 100 or saturated the airwaves. That said, it's certainly growing in popularity. BTS is known, in fact, for having an international fan base (x).

Last June, the groups third EP The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 1 made it onto Fuse's list of the "Top 27 Albums of 2015 So Far" (x), which shows that the genre is making it in the US.

Actually, my friend tweeted at me a few weeks ago asking who BTS was because she heard that they were really popular among high schoolers. She was super surprised to hear that it was South Korean boy band, but let me tell you, K-Pop really picking up speed over here.

I guess it's considered "K-Pop" because it's upbeat and Korean, but this track draws from some hip hop and R&B influences if you listen closely.

There's certainly some bona fide rapping in this song, but I also dig the talk-singing in the last parts of the verses. It's like they have a melody going but the vocalist isn't completely committed to singing it so they're just rapping with more varied intonations.

When they're actually singing, the melody is unbelievably catchy, though. Like, yo, I'm going to be humming that chorus under my breath for the next several years.

Run run run!

Overview:

Genre:
K-Pop

Verdict:
Self-explanatory...in that this is going right onto my jogging playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment