Monday, August 29, 2016

Riptide


A Certain Spark

Riptide by Vance Joy

I was stuck in one of those YouTube binge-ing sessions, where you just click-through your "Up Next" and Related Videos for several hours, when I came across this song.

Vance Joy opened for Taylor Swift when I saw her on the 1989 Tour, and I remember being really excited even though this was the only one of his songs that I knew. It's, like, that good.

A little history from the man himself:

"Around the time I wrote the song I met this girl. I asked her what she did and she was like 'I'm a magician's assistant.' I didn't really know where to go from there. I bet she never gets tired of laying that line on people." (source)

Just as I never get tired of hearing that line.

Or any line in this song.

Like the beginning.

I was scared of dentists and the dark.
I was scared of pretty girls and starting conversations.

That's probably the most endearing opening of any song ever.

Those lines set up the sweet but dorky vibe really well...but nowhere does it come through quite as well as in the bridge, where this kid is tripping all over his simple question:

I just wanna - I just wanna know...
If you're gonna - if you're gonna stay...

How precious. If you're not rooting for him, then I don't even believe you.

But no matter how cute it is, the love story isn't what had me playing this song on repeat for a month back in 2014. I kept it spinning because that sound is infectious.

The track is led by a delicate but warm ukulele, which works perfectly. I feel like the ukulele is a popular choice for covers, but it's underused overall. I want to hear more ukulele on the radio. It's such a bubbly instrument.

Joy sounds great on top of it, too, especially during those oh oh ohs where there's a textured harmony that kind of puts a lump in my throat. 

As for the title, Joy says:
I think at first you write these words without really thinking if they make sense or not. In my mind it's the ocean, but my whole awareness of that word existing is staying at a motel called Riptide. That's why it was in my head since it's not the most commonly used expression. And for that reason, the word has a special significance and a special memory for me. (source)
Good times.

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
I wanna be y our left-hand man.

Verdict:

okay but there's no way you'll be singing the words wrong

P.S. How about that music video? It's interesting that they went for a 100% literal approach, but then they decided to purposefully apply incorrect lyrics...? Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment