Monday, August 22, 2016

All Good Things (Come to an End)


I Dunno, Son

All Good Things (Come to an End) by Nelly Furtado

"I just love Nelly Furtado's voice! It's so unique. I always tear up a little bit listening to her sing this one."

I'm also tearing up. It's a sad song! I try to focus on how every ending is a new beginning, but it's hard to get excited about that when you're not ready to start a new chapter. There was nothing wrong with the old one.

As a senior in college, I feel this pain acutely.

I like this track a lot, though she loses me when she talks about the dogs hoping it would come soon so that they could die.

Why?

Also, okay, I'm not crazy about the way all the background noise cuts out sporadically during the second verse at Travelling I only stop and if I'll stay (stay). I thought for sure that there was an audio problem with my headphones when there was nothing but a naked voice for just the one word: I.

Unless, like, it's supposed to represent how alone she feels. In which case...a little dramatic, but I can dig it.

In general, I love the dreamy sound of this track, with the the delicate vocals in the chorus and the steady drumbeat throughout. It settles over you like a heavy blanket, the kind you throw on even when you're not cold, just because the weight of it makes you feel safe. It's like the music comforts you after the lyrics upset you.

Also, I guess he didn't sing enough to be "featured," but there are harmonies in this song provided by Coldplay's Chris Martin. He also helped Furtado write the song, and he's responsible for the strong, "hypnotic" melody (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Wondering if I'll stay
Young and restless
Living this way I stress less


Verdict:
sweet but somber...mellow-choly

No comments:

Post a Comment