Thursday, August 18, 2016

Gravel to Tempo


Wait, What's This Song Called?

Gravel to Tempo by Hayley Kiyoko

"It's a good song."

Agreed.

A catchy, upbeat track, Gravel to Tempo sounds way too positive to be about high school.

Hayley Kiyoko says of the track:

From the beginning of writing that song, I envisioned myself in front of all the girls I had crushes on in high school. I remember so well what it was like to idolize other people and look for validation from them. But then I grew up, and I realized: the only validation I need is from myself.

My goal is to inspire my fans to find happiness in themselves earlier on, so they don't have such a tough time growing up. The world is a hard, difficult place right now. But it can feel a little bit easier if you believe in yourself. (source)

That's a noble goal, and I'm all about it. I wish I had been able to learn that lesson when I was younger.

It's funny, but I feel like I wouldn't have connected with this song as much when I was in high school. As much as it's a good message for teens, this song is clearly coming from the point of view of someone who has already been through those terrible, hormonal years.

Saying "be yourself" to someone who's still in the midst of learning how isn't usually super effective.

And I say that as someone who's, like, not quite there yet. Though I'm way further along than I was in high school (who isn't?).

Kiyoko acknowledges this in the song, actually, saying Caught up with the fact that life will be dark, but can we handle being kids? AKA: growing up is hard.

Anyway, this is definitely a song made for jumping on the bed and dancing around your room with a hairbrush microphone. Wherever you are on that journey to self-acceptance, you can sing along with this beautiful pop song and be happy and optimistic.

Question, though: why is this song called Gravel to Tempo? It's one of those songs where the namedrop never comes, and I don't get it.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Lost in this feeling,
don't ever need a reason.

Verdict:
I love this woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment