Saturday, August 27, 2016

Cruel


Zaddy

Cruel ft ZAYN by Snakehips (Ta-ku remix)

Recommended by Jase

"New fav"

Another music duo, Snakehips were fresh off a collaboration with Tinashe and Chance the Rapper when they moved on to feature ZAYN in this soulful electronic track.

Billboard calls the vocals "moody," which I think is kind of unfair (x).

Technically, "moody" means "giving an impression of melancholy or mystery," which this song does. But in practice, the term brings to mind images of a teenager sulking in their bedroom, pouting alone in the darkness.

This song is more than that. Yes, there's a sense that the singer is brooding, but there's also a genuine warmth in the way ZAYN caresses each word and a mature sultriness in R&B style.

CapitalFM called it "smoky and sexy," which I like better (x).

There needs to be a neologism that's synonymous with ZAYN's particular brand of smoky sexiness. Like Tyra's "smize."

Even without the cover art, I would have been imagining raindrops on a window with city lights sparkling, just beyond.

I mean, the track begins with a second of nothing but the sound of rain, which is self-explanatory. Then, there's that synth hopping from ear to ear, which tells you the streetlights are probably out-of-focus. And finally, ZAYN's vocals are crystal clear in front of the hazy dreamscape of instrumentals behind him.

It's some high class city life. That guy who seems like he has it all, but he's actually got his own problems, you know?

I don't know.

Anyway, sound is cool.

Overview:

Genre:
R&B

Favorite Lyrics:
Venus in Converse,
you put a spell on me.

Verdict:
gotta go listen to the original

1 comment:

  1. I know Zayne is your boy, but I am just not too in tune with this. I guess my old school ears prefer the acoustic or even electric sound of 3,4,or even 5 guys playing instruments and singing without sp many electronic (to distinguish from electric) sounds and instruments. Zayne is no more guilty of this than his compatriots, which is my point. Today's music is just not my thing. I would be more interested in offering an opinion on Zayne with just an acoustic guitar, or perhaps a piano. I DID like this kind of music from the 80s though, The Gap Band, DEVO, and others, but I used to dance then, maybe that is the change? Perhaps I would have liked this song more when I was 17-24 and in college, going to clubs...anyway, not my fav...

    ReplyDelete