Tuesday, August 9, 2016

In the Name of Love


Don't Stop

In the Name of Love by Martin Garrix & Bebe Rexha

"I was actually going to recommend a different song, but this came on autoplay after the original one, and I ended up really liking it. Hope you dig it, too."

Indeed, I do dig it.

Bebe Rexha's voice is so cool to me. She sounds like Ellie Goulding plus Sia? I don't know. I'll work on that comparison.

Actually, it's not just her voice on this track that's cool.

Rexha had classical training and could sing opera as a coloratura soprano. She also wrote or co-wrote a bunch of songs for popular artists, including The Monster ft. Rihanna by Eminem. And, of course, she also co-wrote In the Name of Love with Dutch DJ Martin Garrix (x).

Anyway, I'd never heard of this song, but apparently it's pretty popular with people who keep up with electronica. It hit 14 on the US Hot Dance/Electronic Songs by Billboard (x).

I can see why it hit such highs.

Or, I guess, I can hear why.

The short intro hints at the electronic elements to come, but when the song begins in earnest, it's a sweet and catchy hook, with nothing but Rexha's voice and some piano chords. It draws you in slowly, lets you tiptoe to the edge of the cliff. Then during the pre-chorus, the music builds, and you muster up some courage before you take the leap at about 0:50.

The music and lyrics join together to tell that story. The next verse asks when you're jumping from the heights, would you fall in the name of love? Then, again, the music builds, and you get your answer.

I think the track is really well put together, and so it not only sounds good but also feels good. <3

Overview:

Genre:
Future Bass / Progressive House

Favorite Lyrics:
If I told you we could bathe in all the lights,
would you rise up, come and meet me in the sky?

Verdict:
just do it

1 comment: