Friday, August 19, 2016

Josey


Me

Josey by Hey Monday

Recommended by Michelle

"Brings back happy memories of car rides with my children even though it's not necessarily lyrically happy 😉 AND great song to play while running intervals on the treadmill 😜"

I'm always looking for songs to spice up my runs, so I was excited to receive this submission.

I didn't realize this was going to be pop punk, but it's a welcome surprise.

See, I knew one song by Hey Monday before you sent this to me - Candles - but I had only heard the Glee version. And, okay, I love everything the Warblers sang on that show, but the mostly-a-capella cover doesn't really hint at the original band's intention.

Anyway, Josey is pop punk in its purest form, and I love it, from the strum of the guitars to the angsty drums to the slightly whiny melody.

Plus, as a college student, I find Josey as a character to be super relatable.

They're talking about a girl who doesn't really know where she's going, so she just parties all the time and enjoys the ride. Every now and then, she thinks she should stop drinking so much, but then the drinks are buy-one-get-one-free, and that all goes out the window.

And, like, can you blame her?

Even if "it's not lyrically happy," it's also not that unhappy. It's kind of optimistic. She's getting this craziness out of her system, but Hey Monday say that eventually she'll know just what to do. I can only hope I'm so lucky.

Now I think I'll have to give the rest of Hey Monday's discography a listen. So thanks :)

Overview:

Genre:
Pop Punk

Favorite Lyrics:
It's just a phase you're going through.
Some day you'll know just what to do.


Doesn't matter, just do something.

Verdict:
freshman year at UGA

P.S. There's this lyric she slips on her necklace, and I know it means that she puts the necklace on, but I keep imagining Josey stepping on the necklace on the ground and falling over.

3 comments:

  1. I pictured the same thing!! Her slipping ion her necklace and falling down!!😂😂😂 Lol!!!

    ReplyDelete