Sunday, August 21, 2016

One Headlight


Even a Stopped Clock Is Right Once A Day

One Headlight by The Wallflowers

"Loved this song when first released. Lead vocals very seductive and overall feel to song kinda sexy BUT was listening to song tonight with my son and realized it's a pretty sad song. Obviously never really listened to the lyrics."

This track was ranked #58 on Rolling Stone and MTV's list of "100 Greatest Pop Songs of All Time," and it won Grammys for Best Rock Song and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group (x).

It kind of makes me feel awkward that I'd never heard of this song before you recommended it.

It's interesting to me that you think the song gives off a sexy vibe! I agree that the lead vocals are satiny, but I definitely feel a heaviness to the track that hints at the lyrical message.

Lead singer and songwriter Jakob Dylan says the song doesn't have a concrete meaning:
I tend to write with a lot of metaphors and images, so people take them literally. The song's meaning is all in the first verse. It's about the death of ideas. The first verse says, The death of the long broken arm of human law. At times, it seems like there should be a code among human beings that is about respect and appreciation. I wasn't feeling like there was much support outside the group putting together the record. In the chorus, it says, 'C'mon try a little.' I didn't need everything to get through, I could still get through - meaning 'one headlight. (source)
That sounds confusing to me. Why are people taking these lyrics literally if they're all metaphors? I guess if he doesn't need everything to get through, then we can make up our own meanings for this track.

And if that's the case, then ignore the text in favor of those sexy vibes you were feeling before.

For me, the song is ultimately quite positive. Despite the overarching theme of death, whether it be the "death of ideas" or the death of the singer's only friend, we're told that our best is good enough. All we have to do is try a little, and we can make it with one headlight.

Overview:

Genre:
Alt Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
We'll run until she's out of breath
She ran until there's nothin' left


Verdict:
tries a little, but not too hard

1 comment: