Thursday, December 1, 2016

True Colors




Comin' Outta My Cage and I've Been Doin' Just Fine

True Colors by Brendan Fletcher

Recommended by Uncle Manny

"I have always loved this song since it first came out in the '80s performed by Cyndi Lauper. I was never a big fan of her voice, but I loved the song anyway. Over the years I have heard different covers, but last night on 'The Voice' I heard this song done by one of my favorites of this season, so I ask that you listen to this version when you review it, and you will hear how I have always heard it in my head."

I'm impressed by this guy! Thanks for suggesting his version, or I'm sure I never would have had the pleasure of hearing this recording.

It's interesting that you say this is how you've ealways heard this song in your head, because this might be more true to the original, anyway. As you said, Cyndi Lauper was the first to record this song on an album, but she didn't write it (that's not a diss on Lauper - this was the only song on the album she didn't help write).

The composers Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly actually created a demo that was a "piano based gospel ballad like 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'" (x). I don't know about you, but I definitely get Bridge vibes at times from Fletcher's arrangement.

And I do like this arrangement. Aside from Fletcher's deep, gravelly vocals, the instrumental is to die for. I adore the piano and soothing, um. What's that instrument? You can see the guy playing it.

I had been listening to the studio version, but I had to see what instrument that was. And I still couldn't figure it out. Alas. I'm glad, anyway, because I like the energy better in the live performance. You can't get the same performance level without an audience.

Speaking of an audience, I found a good number of positive articles about this performance, so I'm happy for this guy. They all praised, as I did, his emotive vocals and soulful presentation. He does justice to the beautiful lyrics about loving who you are and sharing yourself with the world. A lovely song.

(Context: It was originally written about Steinberg's mother...although I guess that doesn't add a whole lot of context unless you happen to knew Steinberg's mother. x)

Not a single article passed up the opportunity to say "Brendan Fletcher shows his true colors..."

The track has been covered a million times, but if I could suggest one, I'd say you may want to check out the version by Phil Collins here. It's jazzy and has kind of an understated spice to it. You can't help but tap along to the beat.

Amazing that people can make so many different things out of a single song! And they're all beautiful in their own way. It's almost like...the artists' true colors are coming out in their performances...

But none of them can make the line like a rainbow sound as if it belongs there.
Overview:

Genre:
Pop Ballad

Favorite Lyrics:
So don't be afraid to let them show.

Verdict:
easier said than done

No comments:

Post a Comment