Friday, December 16, 2016

Obsessions


Happy Graduation

Obsessions by Marina and the Diamonds

''I had a brief obsession (haha) with Marina a few years ago. I have no idea what spurred it, but I was interested in her very unique voice. I don't think I've really thought of this song since then, but I just had a little throwback :D''

I like her voice, too. The whole sound in general of this song is nice. Poppy, but piano-driven.
I had a brief obsession (haha) with Marina a few years ago. I have no idea what spurred it, but I was interested in her very unique voice. I don't think I've really thought of this song since then, but I just had a little throwback 
About the content of this song, Marina said “Because I am not over-sensitive I don’t write and gush about love, as a lot of songwriters do, but this one does touch on it, about seeing someone for what they are (x). 

About the album (her debut, The Family Jewels), she said it ''encourages people to question themselves'' (x). 

Also, "I think it’s a really diverse album stylistically speaking because I’m such a flexible writer...so there’s a lot of pop on it, but there’s kind of a lot of left-field experimental stuff as well. It’s basically an album about what not to be'' (x).

I thought that sounded like the kind of confident I always hope to achieve, but in the same interview she also said things like ''I probably have a bit of a different sound because I don't really know what I'm doing!'' and ''I always think that I'm not big at all'' and those are more relatable.

It seems to me that the song is kind of about seeing someone for what they are, but I also feel like it's about not seeing someone. Miscommunication or lack of meaningful communication, you know?

I like the part where she's in the store trying to decide what crackers to buy, but the (imagined) pressure gets to be too much and she leaves without making a purchase. I relate.

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
I want to erase every nasty thought that bugs me every day of every week.

Verdict:
be free, be happy

No comments:

Post a Comment