Thursday, December 29, 2016

Fade Away


Hometown

Fade Away by Mac McComb (YouTube Channel)

Recommended by Michelle K.

"Mac is from Marietta and a self taught musician. He writes all music and lyrics for 99% of songs. His cousin Jack plays the guitar and trumpet in this, and they both are amazing. They recently played in my house for about 50 of his friends. He's so good and wonderful live. I know he's going to be on the big stage some day."

We all know Athens, Georgia has a rich history of musical talent, ranging from R.E.M. to The B-52's to, more recently, Reptar. Not to mention, we have some of the best music venues anywhere. 

Check out Wikipedia if you don't believe me. Or, better yet, come pay us a visit.

(Go to a concert. You might run into the next big thing.)

Speaking of which, the song today is an original by Mac McComb, who performs in Athens and hails from my very own Marietta, Georgia. Great guy, so I've heard. Also great music, so I've heard. And now you've heard.

The first thing that stuck out in this piece is that the trumpet is great, dude, very cool. Unexpected. Horns are generally under-utilized, to be honest.

My favorite thing, though, is the way the instrumentals are sometimes stripped down to nothing but sparse guitar chords. Like here. There's something haunting about the way McComb's strong, deep voice is laid bare in those sections. Makes you shiver.

I'm into the general vibe of the song and the atmosphere created by the video. Will be watching out for new stuff.

So glad I got slipped this recommendation before the end of the year! This is the kinda stuff I had in mind when I started this blog in the first place. Hope y'all enjoyed :)

Overview:

Genre:
Indie/Folk/Rock

Verdict:
gotta support local

No comments:

Post a Comment