Thursday, December 8, 2016

Last Christmas


*whispers* Merry Christmas

Last Christmas by Wham!

Mambo No. 5 and then Last Christmas the very next day? How did I end up scheduling the two most obnoxious songs back to back like that?

I don't know, but I'm not sorry.

First of all, everything about this song is catchy. The entirety of the song is fair game for getting stuck in your head. You could be humming the bum bum bum bums of the synthpop instrumental, or you could be singing along to the melody, or you could have that creepy whispered Merry Christmas on repeat your mind's ear. You just never know.

Second, it's one of the least problematic holiday songs out there. It's basically secular, and despite mentioning Christmas in the title, it really only talks about it in passing.

Plus, there are some great covers. Including this one by Hilary Duff - did you know her debut album was a Christmas album? And even this one by Crazy Frog. Amazing. Carly Rae's version got good reviews.

Oh, wow, and Ari covered it - on her album which she decided to call Christmas & Chill, oh my god.

But of course, no Christmas song discourse is complete without the Glee cover. I should just do Christmas songs for the rest of December. How annoying would that be? Maybe once a week.

Anyway, after all that...Wham! does it best.

It's going to be stuck in your head for the next few hours whether you like it or not, so you might as well embrace it.

Overview:

Genre:
Synthpop / Holiday

Favorite Lyrics:
Now I know what a fool I've been,
But if you kissed me now,
I know you'd fool me again.

Verdict:
Do you actually like this song?
Or is it just catchy?
(...story of my life)

omfg there are literally 111 covers listed on Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment