Sunday, December 25, 2016

Christmas Bells


Merry Christmas

I was reminded yesterday (December 24th, 9PM, Eastern Standard Time) that RENT exists, and it really doesn't feel like the holiday season for me if I haven't watched this musical. It technically takes place over an entire year, but the whole first act is, like, a single day. And it all starts on Christmas.

Christmas Eve last year...

I'm not usually a purist or a snob, but this (and Goodbye Love) is one reason why the staged production is vastly superior to the 2005 RENT movie musical. Luckily, they filmed RENT live on Broadway in 2008, so you can watch it without having to actually see it in-person.

I embedded the full performance above because it really doesn't have the same impact without the visual aspect.

My favorite thing in musicals is when you've got a bunch of different lines of lyrics and melodies running together, and this song does that masterfully. The best part starts around here and continues until the end.

It first builds up to a seemingly disorganized cacophony of voices, with Mimi and Roger's strident I should tell yous, and then everyone comes together in unison for that last and it's beginning to...snow.

The references to popular, traditional Christmas songs are a nice touch, too.

There's the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer allusion, with the addition of a vulgar hand gesture. Plus, the sections with the police feature quite a few quotations from traditional Christmas music, either in melody or, often, lyrics.

He's got policemen singing I'm dreaming of a white Christmas and jingle bells, prison cells and you have the right to remain silent night and fall on your knees. I see what you did there.

I also enjoy that part at the beginning where the guy is repeating honest living over and over again. He's playing the role of "squeegieman," and the intonation of his voice as he sings that line acts as almost an onomatopoeia for the sound a squeegie would make on a car window.

If you aren't familiar with RENT or musicals aren't your cup of tea, I can understand how this whole piece might be overwhelming. It's a lot to take in, and you have to be okay with missing things.

I have listened to this song a million times, and I'm still picking up on new lyrics. Plus, I can literally look at the script and still not be able to follow along at certain parts. But for me, that's half the fun.

Overview:

Genre:
Musical Theater

Favorite Lyrics:
Hush your mouth, it's Christmas.

Verdict:
I am absolutely tickled by Mimi and Roger's interactions.

Can I make it up to you?
How?
Dinner party?
That'll do.

...

Let's not hold hands yet.
Is that a warning?

No comments:

Post a Comment