Saturday, December 17, 2016

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas


Sleepy Christmas

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas by Frank Sinatra

"My earliest memories of Christmas are from when I was 4 or 5 years old. We were living in my grandaddy's house at the time, and it was only me, my baby sister, my mom, my dad, my grandaddy, and I think my Grandma too. These are some really happy memories. And there were only a few of us in the family, but really happy memories.

Now our family Christmas includes over 20 family members. The numbers continue to change every year due to new births, the passing of some, marriages, some relocating...but the memories I have from the past 48+ years have mostly been so full of joy and love that I really feel blessed at this time of year, no matter what has transpired over the previous 12 months. This song reminds me of these times, all of them, I guess because it is one of the first Christmas songs I remember wanting to learn how to sing. I remember Sinatra's voice singing this song as one of my earliest memories...anyway, I hope that gives you something to think about as I hope you close your eyes and listen to this song..."

Thanks so much! I always love context when people recommend songs to me.

I love Christmas music because it always reminds me of my favorite memories. How could I not love the holiday season, with good food and even better company? It's just so full of love.

In 2009, this particular track was ranked as the third most commonly performed Christmas song, and back in 2004, it was ranked as the 76th best tune in American Cinema (x). It was, after all, first popularized by Judy Garland in the film Meet Me in St. Louis.

The movie version (1943) is about how a father plans to move to New York City, leaving behind his family in St. Louis. Original lyrics that didn't even make it into the movie include the line have yourself a merry little Christmas; it may be your last.

That was determined to be a little to despondent, but it explains why the melody and general sound of the song is so haunting and sad.

In 1957, Frank Sinatra asked for even more lyric changes: "The name of my album is A Jolly Christmas. Do you think you could jolly up that line for me?" 

That's when we got the line Hang a shining star upon the highest bow.

More history here.

Otherwise, just enjoy Sinatra's iconic voice. Gotta love that background choir.

Overview:

Genre:
Holiday

Favorite Lyrics:
Faithful friends who are dear to us
gather near to us once more.

Verdict:
sounds sad, but, like, isn't...

No comments:

Post a Comment