Monday, December 12, 2016

Redbone


So Cute and Unexpected

Redbone by Childish Gambino

Recommended by Babsh

I always know it's going to be good when I Google a song, and I'm overwhelmed with reviews. (In this case, I guess it doesn't hurt that Childhood Gambino's album Awaken, My Love just came out like a a week ago.)

This article title alone just get me:

Childish Gambino's "Redbone" Takes Fans On A Groovy Ride

My brain is entirely fried from staying up all night and working at the student center for like 12 hours everyday for the past week, so I'm doing pull-out quotes. Please don't sue.

"oozing with soul"

"just enough funk to fool you into thinking it's 1978"

"at once a homage and a parody, equally aware of that era's excesses and its glories"

"[Childish Gambino] ditches rap for lovingly produced funk worship"

"builds from a slow jam into a peak of futuristic guitar and forceful staccato piano chords"

That's so much better than I can do. I was just going to write "Nice" and maybe comment on that funky-fresh bass line.

Real talk, I didn't even realize it was Donald Glover singing on this track at first. That falsetto is unbelievable. Is it autotune, or is there just literally nothing this man can't do?

(Literally 99% of the articles above, whether they liked his work as Childish Gambino or not, mentioned what a great dude Donald Glover is and congratulated him on his show Atlanta.)

Anyway, enjoy this nice little break-up slow jam.

P.S. For all you etymology nerds, this bout of research led me to the origin of "stay woke" as a term for "stay socially and politically aware." 2008 (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Psychadelic Soul / Funk

Favorite Lyrics:
But stay woke

Verdict:
"slow-burning soul jam"

No comments:

Post a Comment