Sunday, December 25, 2016

O Holy Night


Merry Christmas

O Holy Night by John Berry

Recommended by my parents

This suggestion has been sitting on my list for a really long time. When I first started this blog in January, my dad said I had to cover a John Berry song because he's one of the best artists to come out of Athens, Georgia...but at the time, he couldn't think of recommending something other than Berry's Christmas music, specifically O Holy Night. My mom's favorite was The Little Drummer Boy.

Either way, I figured it wasn't the time for it. Now, 12 months and 359 blog posts later, I'm finally fulfilling his wish.

(Full disclosure, I covered Berry's Your Love Amazes Me earlier this year. But anyway...)

Then, a few weeks ago, my mom went to a John Berry concert and her love for the guy exploded anew. She bought like eight copies of his Christmas album to give away as gifts. We listened to it in the car today as we headed to my grandparents' house.

John Berry's version of this traditional hymn charted at 55 and 63 in two separate years, earning itself a place on Wikipedia's "Notable versions" list on the official O Holy Night page (x).

It's also the title track for his Christmas album.

I love this guy's voice, smooth and strong. Even though he's a country singer, this song doesn't have much of a southern twang. It's pure and sweet, his voice filling vast spaces over poignant strings. I typically prefer fun, secular Christmas songs, but this is one exception that I enjoy very much.

I've always thought the chorus and the imagery of falling onto your knees in the presence of the angels was incredibly powerful.

Have a blessed evening if you're into that. If not, then to all a good night.

Overview:

Genre:
Holiday

Favorite Lyrics:
Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.

Verdict:
a great performance of one of my favorite serious Christmas songs


No comments:

Post a Comment