Monday, November 14, 2016

You and Me


One Alone Is Not Enough

You and Me by You+Me

Recommended by Uncle Manny

"Aunt Cherie introduced me to this song by putting it on a slideshow for my 50th birthday. It made me cry. It summed up our whole relationship. After checking out the song You and I that you reviewed today, I thought I might give you a softer version of a similarly-titled song that meant a lot to me... interested to hear what you think about this one."

It took me approximately 12 seconds to figure out that I liked this song.

I'm always a sucker for that homorhythmic texture. These two voices (Dallas Greene and Alecia Moore) sound beautiful together, and the harmony adds something interesting to the repetitive lyrics and simple acoustic accompaniment.

Also, this track is clearly a love song, and the way the two voices almost never venture off on their own is an excellent fit for the lyrics. They just hang in there like they belong together.

Despite being very sweet and romantic song, You and Me has a haunting tone to it. I guess it's like how loving someone can give you shivers, sometimes. Or maybe it's just to highlight the depth of the feelings, instead of throwing it in a basic major key without any kind of fun harmonic structure.

Allmusic points out that this the "sparseness" of the accompaniment "suggests intimacy," and I think the same could be said of the minor key that gives it those haunting vibes.

I love this part where the guitar drops out and leaves the two voices to sing a cappella.

But it's okay, because they have each other.

"A partnership of equals" (x)

Fun Fact: Both artists that make up this folk duo are better known by their other stage names. Dallas Greene is the man behind City and Colour, and Alecia Moore often goes by the name P!nk.

Overview:

Genre:
Folk

Favorite Lyrics:
You can be flawed enough 
but perfect for a person.

Verdict:
you need both together

1 comment:

  1. I always love your writing... I have a deeper love for the song than I did before and I didn't think that was possible. Thanks Ali love you !

    ReplyDelete