Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Amen


Still With Her

Amen by Kid Rock

Recommended by Uncle Manny

"Ok, probably not the artist you might first think of when you hear this song title...well, OK you probably would NEVER guess Kid Rock wrote a song titled Amen. I love this song and a few others that he has released later in his career because of them having more meaningful lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I have screamed along with the stereo in the car when Cowboy was playing, because I truly am a Kid Rock fan. I have seen him countless times here in Atlanta, and like my niece have hit the road to see one of my favorite artists play in another town. This song, however, speaks of relevant topics in today's society and expresses opinions much like my own on these subjects. I am interested to hear your take on the song, the artist, and the topics addressed in the lyrics...I will be waiting patiently..."

Kid Rock has said that this is the best song he has ever written, inspired by his "frustration with social issues." He said "I think I have the ability to bring people together by speaking the truth. At least I've had people tell me that I do that" (x). That last quote seems appropriate given last night's results.

He wrote the song in response to a challenge from his producer to come up with "something more than a lap-dance soundtrack" (x). I guess that's why these songs from the latter part of Rock's career have "more meaningful lyrics," as my uncle pointed out.

So Rock headed over to his friend's Malibu beach house and penned the words it's another night in hell. Amazing.

Speaking of the lyrics, there's a part here where I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he's saying. I went over to good old AZLyrics and:





Which, um. What?

So I went to MetroLyrics, and it said the same thing.

Eventually I had to turn to Yahoo Answers:

This is confusing, I know. I was trying to figure it out myself, so I did a little research. I compared the album version with the live version and that's what I concluded based on what I heard. 
There's a rumor that the English translation of the Japanese lyrics is "If you can understand what this means, it means you have time. Go out and have sex." Someone who claimed he had a Japanese friend who translated the lyrics posted that on Extreme Kid Rock, but nobody knows how true it is. I guess nobody will know for sure until KR speaks on the topic. 
I don't think anyone knows the full story on the Japanese lyrics other than KR himself.
I'm going to be real with you - I do not buy this. I do not buy the idea that Kid Rock randomly inserted Japanese lyrics into this song and then just...never commented on it.

That reminds me of the time I went to see my school perform Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, and all of the music was Mumford and Sons. But they never mentioned this creative decision, not even in the program booklet thing.

Overview:

Genre:
Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Give a little bit more than you've got to give.

Verdict:
from the album Rock n Roll Jesus

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking a look at this Ali. I hope that you found it interesting. I have not ever heard KR comment on those lyrics either, but he seems to be really clever when I have seen several documentaries about him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, it was interesting! I love that Kid Rock got called out by his producers and used that to fuel some more meaningful lyrics. That's awesome. I totally believe that he's a clever dude, which is why I wish that he had commented on the foreign-language lyrics - if, in fact, that's what went down. (And even if it's not in Japanese, I wish I knew what he was saying haha.)

      Delete