Saturday, November 19, 2016

Love on the Weekend


It's Been 84 Years

Love on the Weekend by John Mayer

Recommended by Kim C.

"I feel so blessed to have new music from John. Such a chill and sweet vibe :)"

I'm sure Kim would say that anything from this artist is a blessing, but this is particularly delightful because it's Mayer's first new music since a cover of "XO" in 2014...And the blessings are likely to keep coming. Mayer himself publicly said "I do think next year is the year of more music coming than I've ever put out in one year" (x).

I hope he's right and 2017 is the year of new music. I'm done with realizing things.

Anyway, this track is fitting for tonight since, I mean, It's a Friday; we finally made it. Or I guess it's Saturday now, but whatever. That's still the weekend.

Love on the Weekend is a "guitar-based return to pop music," but it's a very soft pop (x). Relaxed, gentle. Tender maybe. Very nice.

I was worried about the title because I expected it to be about cheating or something, but it's actually a wholesome ditty about being a grown-up with adult responsibilities during the week and being excited to see your lover on the weekends.

Of course, those parts about finding messages in the bottom of bottles and hating each other's guts doesn't sound 100% healthy, but um. It could also be about a long-distance relationship.

(Like, 2 hours away, maybe.)

I always love Mayer's smooth voice, and this is no exception as he croons sweetly over light percussion and an acoustic guitar. It's a lovely "welcome back" after the 3-year drought.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop / Pop-Rock with Bluesy Flair

Favorite Lyrics:
I hate your guts 'cause I'm 
loving every minute of it.

If you've ever had a crush, this is pretty relatable.

Verdict:
it's actually been 3 years (x)

No comments:

Post a Comment